Follow up…as you know my two kids decided to “play with fire” last month and thankfully they managed to not be injured or inflict injury on anyone else or anyone else’s property. And as a punishment not only were they to lose some of their privileges, they also had to write a note to the local fire company promising that they will never play with fire again and send it along with the papers that had written down 100 times the sentence “I will not play with fire”.
So about a week after they sent off their letters, the local fire department’s chief called me wanting to schedule a time to come out and speak to Michael and Grace about the dangers of playing with fire. I have to admit that I was pretty impressed. The chief, his wife and daughter all came out to our house in one of their fire trucks the Saturday before Easter and sat with my two in our living room for a good 30 minutes or so and talked with them about what they did. He stressed how fast and easy it is for fire to get out of control even for adults. He also told them about the horrors of what burn victims go through and how painful and disfiguring the healing process is for them. He gave them some more information about fire prevention and included some safety tips for Chris and I to implement in our own home. Then he took them outside and they had the chance to put on some of the equipment used by fire fighters when they go into a burning building and to tour the fire truck they brought with them.
The chief also had with him the letters that Michael and Grace wrote and he told them that he was going to hang on to them for the next year at which time he will stop back for another visit and return the letters to them. I really think Michael and Grace learned a valuable lesson here in that knowing what they did was serious enough to warrant a visit from the Fire Chief. If after reading this story about Michael and Grace’s escapades any parent out there has now moved their matches or lighter to a safer spot, or has taken any steps whatsoever to ensure fire safety in their own home, I consider this episode in our home to be a potential life saving one.